Baked sea bass with potatoes and other Mediterranean ingredients is a beautiful way of baking fish which has always been done in my family.
This method of baking has been used in Maltese cooking for a long time and it is also done with other meat such as pork or beef. Fish or meat is added to a baking dish with potatoes, onions and sometimes a few other ingredients. Water and oil are mixed in and then the dish is baked in the oven. It is a wonderful and easy way of cooking for a family. As an option you can add in some bread crumbs in the last quarter of cooking.
One thing to remember about this dish is that the potatoes need to be sliced quite thinly and spread thinly otherwise they will not cook properly.
Once again, I have filled the cavity of the fish with a herb mixture.
Enjoy the recipe!
- I large sea bass that fits into a large baking dish
- 6 tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 30 green olives
- 2 onions sliced
- 3 potatoes sliced
- 200ml water
- 70 ml oil
- 2 garlic gloves sliced
- Small bunch of parsley and mint chopped
- 1 lemon sliced
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Fill the cavity of the sea bass with some parsley, mint, capers and lemon slices (there should be some left over for the rest of the dish).
- Place into a baking dish.
- Place all other ingredients into a bowl (except the water and oil) and mix well.
- Place evenly into the baking dish and over the fish.
- Add the water into the dish and spread the oil evenly over the dish.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour.
- When 20 minutes cooking time is remaining add in the bread crumbs if you wish to.
- Check to make sure that the potatoes are cooked through.