Another day, another fritter. This time cauliflower fritters (pulpetti tal-pastard). I can only imagine how many fritters would have been made from the cauliflowers grown on my parent’s farm!
We are a little cauliflower fritter obsessed and why wouldn’t we be? It is a great way to use up cauliflowers and make them go a little bit further. I have seen so many versions of these fritters. I have made this version by mashing up the cauliflower, but I have also made a version where the cauliflower florets are dipped in batter and fried (in another post).
I have included potatoes, anchovies, olives, grated cheese, lemon zest, parsley and a few other things in my cauliflower fritters. The main ingredient however is of course cauliflower. If you want the fritters to be vegetarian then omit the anchovies and cheese. Makes a great snack.
Here is a photo of my dad with his dodge truck and his cauliflowers he picked. One proud man.
- 1 cauliflower cut into 4 pieces
- 4 small potatoes cut into quarters
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- zest of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons grated hard cheese
- 50 grams flour
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 5 black olives chopped
- 5 anchovies chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges to finish
- Place the potatoes and cauliflower in a pot of water which has been seasoned with salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 12 minutes.
- While the potatoes and cauliflower are cooking, fry the onion and garlic, on medium heat for five minutes in a frying pan with olive oil.
- Drain the potatoes and cauliflower in a colander.
- Place back in the pot and combine all the other ingredients (except the lemon wedges).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mash gently with a fork or masher.
- Spoon tablespoons of the mixture into a frying pan with a ½ cm layer of olive oil on low heat. If you have a clear lid then put this on to retain the heat.
- Fry on each side for about 7 minutes or until browned on each side.
- When flipping over also make sure to put your spatula right under the fritters. A crust would have formed underneath and it is important that this is kept intact before flipping over.
- Serve with lemon wedges.